Who should be screened for prostate cancer?
体育app strongly recommends that men talk to their doctor about the risks and benefits of prostate screening. The prostate cancer screening recommendations below apply to most men.
- Discuss screening risks and benefits with a health care provider.
- If you choose to be screened, get a prostate-specific antigen (PSA) blood test.
- Strongly consider digital rectal exam, if you choose to be screened.
- Continue testing as indicated by your previous test results.
Age 75 or older
- Your doctor can help you decide if you should continue screening for prostate cancer.
- 体育app doesn’t recommend cancer screening for men age 85 or older.
Along with regular exams, practice awareness. This means you should be familiar with your body. That way you’ll notice changes, like irregular urination. Then, report them to your doctor without delay.
Exams for men at increased risk
Men at increased risk are more likely to get prostate cancer. This doesn’t mean you’ll definitely get cancer. But you may need to start screening at an earlier age or be tested more often.
You’re at increased risk if you fall under one or more of these groups:
- Family history (especially father, brother, son) of prostate cancer
Follow the screening schedule below if you’re at increased risk:
- Discuss screening risks and benefits with your health care provider.
- Prostate-specific antigen (PSA) blood test and digital rectal exam should be initiated
Exams for men who have had prostate cancer
If you’ve had prostate cancer, you need a different plan to check for cancer recurrence.
Print and share 体育app’s prostate cancer survivorship chart with your doctor. Your doctor can use this chart to develop a more tailored screening plan for you.
The screening plans on this page apply to men expected to live for at least 10 years. They’re not for men who have a health condition that may make it hard to diagnose or treat prostate cancer.
Cancer screening exams can detect cancer early, when the chances for successfully treating the disease are greatest.
Due to our response to COVID-19, all blood donations at 体育app
Blood Donor Center locations are being held by appointment only.